DOLAR 15,9853 0.87%
EURO 16,8973 0.31%
ALTIN 946,680,67




Ankara – English
89 okunma

Ankara – English

11 Ağustos 2016 10:05
Ankara – English




Area: 30.715 km²

Population: 3.236.626 (1990)

Traffic Code: 06

The history of Ankara and its surroundings stretches back to the Hatti civilisation of the Bronze Age. Two thousand years before the time of Jesus, the Hittites become the dominant power of the region, and were then followed by the Phyrgians, Lydians and Persians. In the 3rd Century BC, a Celtic race known as the Galatians made Ankara their capital city. The name Ankara comes from the word ‘Ancyra’, which means ‘anchor.’

Ankara gained prominence under the leadership of Ataturk during the national resistence which followed World War I. It was declared the capital of the new Turkish Republic on October 13th 1923 when the National War of Independence freed Turkey from foreign occupation.

Occupying one of the most prominent parts of the city is Anitkabir, the magnificent mausoleum constructed to commemorate Atatürk. This structure, which was completed in 1953, is a synthesis of antique and modern architectural themes, and proves the elegance and strength of Turkish architecture.

The oldest parts of the city surround the Castle. The Alaaddin Mosque found inside its walls is still one of the best examples of Selcuk art and wood craftsmanship, in spite of the fact that it was restored by the Ottomans. The area has experienced a rejuvenation with the restoration of many interesting old Turkish houses, and the opening a several art galleries and fine restaurants which feature examples of traditional Turkish cuisine. Near the gate of the castle is the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, which is a beautifully restored portion of the old bazaar. It contains priceless artifacts belonging to the Paleolithic and Neolithic eras as well as the Hatti, Hittite, Phrygian, Urartu and Roman civilizations.

Ankara has a vibrant cultural and artistic life with many select ballet, theatre, opera and folk dance performances. The city’s Philharmonic Orchestra, which always plays to a packed house, is especially famous.



Altindag is 1 km from the city centre and has been occupied from prehistoric times. An important centre during the Selçuk and Ottoman periods, the city has many important sites of interest to visitors. Among them are the Ankara Castle, the Temple of Augustus, the pillar of Julian, the Roman Baths, the Republic memorial, the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, the State Museum of Painting and Sculpture, the Museum of Ethnography, the War of Independence Museum and the Museum of the Republic. Also in this district are the tombs of Karacabey, Ahi Serafettin, Haci Bayram Veli Efendi, Karyagdi, Gulbaba and Izzettin Baba and the Haci Bayram, Aslanhane, Ahi Elvan, Alaaddin, Zincirli, and Kursunlu Mosques.


One of the most important districts in Ankara, this large area contains many places of interest. The Ataturk Orman Ciftligi, Eymir Lake, Elmadag Ski Facilities, Ahlatlibel Sport and Entertainment Centre are all within this area.

The huge list of primary tourist attractions includes: Anitkabir, the Ataturk Museum, the Ataturk Memorial (Zafer Aniti-Sihhiye), the MTA Natural History Museum, the Security Memorial, the Ethnographic Ataturk Memorial, the Natural History Museum, the Archeology Museum of Middle East Technical University, the State Painting and Statue Exhibit, Memorial Park, the Botanical Garden, Abdi Ipekci Park, Guven Park, Kurtulus Park, Kugulu (Swan) Park, the National Sovereignty Park, Ahmet Arif Park and sport facilities such as the Municipal Ice Skating rinks and the Indoor Pool at 100 Yil. There is also a Toy Museum (Cebeci-Ankara University Education Faculty), the Hittite Memorial, Atakule and the Turkish National Parliament buildings.


Kecioren is one of Ankara’s central districts, and host to the world’s biggest meteorology centre, as well as several departments of Ankara University, the Ataturk Sanatorium and the Gulhane Military Medical Academy. Also here is the Old Ankara Agricultural School, used by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk as a military headquarters during the War of Independence, and is now a museum.


Yenimahalle is within the city and has attractions which reflect the rich history of the area. Its highlight is the Akkopru Bridge, built in 1222 by the Selcuk ruler Ala’addin Keykubat along the old Bagdat Commercial road over Ankara Creek, which has four large arches and three small.

Outside the city


Akyurt is 33 km from the city centre, and was occupied from the Early Bronze Age until the 14th century. A large tumulus 15 meters high and 200-300 meters in diameter was found 1 km northeast of the village of Balikhisar, which is a settlement from the 3rd millenium BC, and belongs to the Early Bronze Age.


This area, located 58 km from Ankara, is famous for its thermal springs. The radioactive waters of the Karakaya thermal springs and the mineral drinking water, 23 km west of Ayas, are known to be beneficial for those in poor health. The vineyards at Karadere, Ova, Ariklari and Kirazdibi are some of the district’s natural resources.


The forest at Beynam National Park, 35 km from Bala on the district border, is an important recreation spot for city residents of Ankara, as well as the locals of Bala.


Located 99 km from Ankara, Beypazari’s history goes back to the Hittites and Phyrgians. Beypazari and its surroundings have been controlled by the Galatians, Romans, Selcuks and Ottomans, and at one time was an episcopal centre. From historical artifacts and ancient maps, we know that its original name of Lagania was later changed to Anastasiopolis.

This charming district is famous for its historical houses, silver craftsmen and for its carrots. Within the district are many places of interest, including the Bogazkesen tomb, Suluhan, the Old Baths, the Sultan Ala’addin Mosque, the Aksemseddin Mosque, the Kursunlu Mosque, the Rustem Pasa Baths, the tomb of Gazi Gunduzalp (Hirkatepe), Kara Davut’s Tomb (Kuyumcutekke) and the tomb of Karaca Ahmet.

The Tekke Highlands

The Egriova highlands, 10 km from the town, the lake and geological structures resembling ‘fairy’ chimneys around the village of Dereli, are some of the district’s more interesting sites.


The district of Camlidere is located 108km northwest of Ankara. There is a mosque belonging to the Selcuk period in the nearby town of Pecenek. It is possible to come across the remains of graves and settlements from the Byzantine Era as well.


Cubuk is 39 km from Ankara’s city centre. The ruined castle at Aktepe and the Carved Rock (Oyulu Kaya) grave in the village of Karadana are remains of Hittite settlement. Later the area would be ruled by the Phrygians, Galatians, Persians, Romans, Byzantines and Selcuks respectively, and it was also area of some importance during the Ottoman Empire. The forest around Cubuk Dam and Lake Karagol are important recreation spots.


The Phrygians, Lydians, Persians and later Romans all ruled in the vicinity of Elmadag, located 41km from the city centre. The motifs and styles of the local hand-woven carpets, rugs, and various bags stretch all the way back to the Selcuk era. Carpet-making still happens in the villages of Tekke and Akcaali, while rugs and handwoven bags still preserve their cultural roots in the villages of Akcaali, Deliler, Hasanoglan, Karacahasan and Kayadibi.


The district of Etimesgut is 20 km from the center of Ankara. Both the Phrygians and Hittites are known to have had settlements in this area. This area was settled mostly by Turks immigrating from western Trakya after the declaration of the independent Turkish Republic.

The historical Gazi Train Station and the Etimesgut Train Station, which was used by Ataturk on his travels to and from Istanbul, are both interesting sites. Ahi Mes’ud and Ahi Elvan, both great important people, named this district and Ahi Elvan’s Tomb is found in the courtyard of the Elvankoy Mosque.


The history of this area, situated 178 km from Ankara, dates right back to the Hittite Period. Within the district along the Evren-Sariyahsi road, about 2km from Evren, is a tumulus, at which have been found ceramic artifacts dating back to the first millenium AD. Sigircik Castle, 2km southwest of Catalpinar village, belongs to the late Byzantine and Ottoman period.


Situated 20 km from Ankara, Golbasi and the surrounding area is important to Ankara in terms of recreation, summer getaway and tourism, as well as hosting important industries. Mogan and Eymir lakes with their natural beauty, clean fresh air and fishing make the area appealing to tourists and locals.

The villages in this area all have a fascinating historical background, with many sites worth seeing. For example: the tumuluses and artifacts found in the villages of Selametli, Gokcehoyuk and Bezirhane; the Roman burial sites and columns in the village of Taspinar; the Byzantine coins and artifacts found in Karaoglan; and the remains of churches belonging to the early Christian period in the villages of Yurtbeyi and Karaoglan.


Located 89 km northwest of the Ankara, Gudul’s history dates back to 3500-3000 BC. Huge caves found along Kirmir Creek, which flows through the district, have yielded evidence of Hittite settlement.


Haymana’s thermal springs, 73 km from Ankara, are world-famous and were used even as far back as the Hittites. After the Hittites, the thermal spring facilities were repaired during the Roman era; and a town, whose ruins can still be seen, was founded 1.5 km east of Haymana and eventually became a therapy centre.


Situated 71 km from Ankara, Kalecik is believed to have first been inhabited in the early Chalcolithic Period between 3500-4000 BC. Notable historic sites in the district include the Hasbey, Saray and Tabakhane Mosques, the Tombs of Kazancibaba and Alisoglu, the Develioglu Bridge spanning the Kizilirmak River and Kalecik Castle.

Kazan It is not exactly known when Kazan, 45km from the city centre, was first established. Excavations have uncovered a number of historical artifacts demonstrating that the area has been used by number of different civilizations for settlement.


Situated 83 km from Ankara, Kizilcahamam is the most heavily forested town in the province. The Sey Hamami thermal springs, 16km from Kizilcahamam, have rich mineral waters which are among the most important thermal springs in the country.


Nallihan’s history is similar to that of the surrounding cities. The county seat, Nallihan, 161 km from Ankara, was established in 1599 when Vizier Nasuhpasa had a han built there – hence the name. The roof of this 3000 sq. meter han is in poor repair, and the mosque and a Turkish bath date back to the same time. The Uluhan mosque in Uluhan (Kostebek) village was constructed in the 17th century, and is a valuable historical structure.


Polatli, 78km from Ankara, was established around 3000 BC but its centre then Gordion and the surrounding area, which was the largest Phrygian city in the world. Gordion was ruled in succession by the Hittites, Phrygians, Persians, Romans and Byzantines, and was added to the Ottoman Empire in 1516 by Yavuz Sultan Selim.

The village of Yassihoyuk and the surrounding area, which lies 20 km northwest of the present-day Polatli, can truly to considered a birthplace of history. There are 86 tumuluses and royal burial sites in the area, as well as numerous artifacts from the city.


148 km from Ankara, Sereflikochisar was first settled between 1400-1300 BC. In the Selcuk era there was a castle around the hill right next to the town, and a second castle on an even higher hill. The Salt Lake, which is the second largest lake in Turkey is also in this district. The Hirfanli Dam and lake found to the north provide irrigation for this arid region and there is fish farming as well. The Salt Lake, the Kursunlu Mosque, Kochisar Castle, and Parlasan Castle are all popular tourist destinations.

How to Get

By Road

It is possible to get to any point in Turkey from Ankara by bus, and even further afield with services to surrounding countries – even Moscow. The main bus station is 5km west of Kizilay, with over 100 bus companies operating from there. Many local buses go there, and most companies will have a service minibus operating to and from the city centre.

By Air

The International Esenboga Airport is 30km north of the city center. Transportation is provided by HAVAS shuttle buses, as well as taxis. There are flights to all the other cities in Turkey, with many each day to Istanbul.

Useful Contacts:

Turkish Airlines (THY) at Esenboga Airport:

Tel: (+90 312) 398 0000 / 1517 or (+90 312) 398 0550.

THY City Offices Tel: (+90 312) 419 1492; (+90 312) 428 0200.

Fax: (+90 312) 428 1681

HAVAS Esenboga Airport

Tel: (+90 312) 398 0000 ext. 1649

By Train

There are direct rail services to the following destinations:

Istanbul, Izmir, Balikesir, Isparta and Burcdur, Zonguldak, Adana, Elazig and Diyarbakir. As with all reservations in Turkey, the fast trains get booked up quickly, as do sleepers, so booking ahead is strongly recommended

Useful contacts:

Information: (+90 312) 311 0620/23

Reservations: (+90 312)311 4994 and 310 6515

Where to Visit



The mausoleum of the Republic’s founder and leader, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, Anitkabir was built on the hill of Rasattepe and has an impressive entrance. It was designed by architects Prof. Emin Onat and Doc. Orahn Arda, and completed in 1953. Ataturk was removed from the temporary burial site at the Ethnographic Museum and brought here with great ceremony the same year.

Within the Anitkabir complex are the Tower of Independence, the Tower of Liberty, The Road of Lions, Mudafaa-i Hukuk Tower, the Soldier’s Tower, the Tower of Victory, the Tower of Peace, the April 23 Tower, the Misak-i Milli Tower, the Reform Tower and the Victory Reliefs. The hallowed Mausoleum hall itself is a colonnaded temple with huge bronze doors but little in the way of decoration. Opposite is the tomb of Ismet Inonu, the first prime minister of the Turkish republic and president after Ataturk’s death.

The Anitkabir museum is located between the Tower of the National Pact and the Tower of the Revolution. A number of Ataturk’s personal belongings are exhibited, including clothes that he wore, and gifts presented to him by visiting foreign dignitaries.

Museum Tel : (+90 312) 310 53 61

Opening hours: Winter – 0900-1200 & 1300-1700. Summer – 0900-1230 & 1330-1700, closed Mondays.

Anatolian Civilisations Museum

Located on the south side of Ankara Castle in the Atpazari area, the Museum consists of the old Ottoman Mahmut Pasa bazaar storage building, and the Kursunlu Han. Because of Ataturk’s desire to establish a Hittite museum, the buildings were bought upon the suggestion of Hamit Zubeyir Kosay, who was then Culture Minister, to the National Education Minister, Saffet Arikan. After the remodelling and repairs were completed (1938 -1968), the building was opened to the public as the Ankara Archaeological Museum.

Today Kursunlu Han, used as an administrative building, houses the work rooms, library, conference hall, laboratory and workshop. The old bazaar building houses the exhibits. Within this Ottoman building, the museum has a number of exhibits of Anatolian archeology. They start with the Paleolithic era, and continue chronologically through the Neolithic, Early Bronze, Assyrian Trading Colonies, Hittite, Phrygian and Urartu periods. There is also an extensive collection of artifacts from the excavations at Karain, Catalhoyuk, Hacilar, Canhasan, Beyce Sultan, Alacahoyuk, Alacahoyuk, Kultepe, Acemhoyuk, Bogazkoy Gordion, Pazarli, Altintepe, Adilcevaz and Patnos as well as examples of several periods.

The exhibits of gold, silver, glass, marble and bronze works date back as far as the second half of the first millennium BC. The coin collections, with examples ranging from the first minted money to modern times, represent the museum’s rare cultural treasures.

Museum Tel : (+90 312) 324 31 60 / 312 62 48.

Opening hours: 08.30 – 17.30, closed Mondays

Ethnographical Museum

This museum was founded in the Namazgah area of Ankara, on a hill with a Muslim graveyard, and was opened to the public on July 18, 1930. The courtyard was closed in November 1938 when it served as the temporary burial site for Ataturk, and reopened when his body was moved to Anitkabir. This section is still preserved as a tomb in symbolic respect of the memory of Atatürk, as the Museum served as his tomb for 15 years.

The Ethnographical Museum has examples of Turkish art from the Selcuk period until the present day. There is a library for specialists in Anatolian ethnography, folklore and art history located in the museum. The building is rectangular with a single dome, and the stone walls covered with travertine. The pediment is marble with ornate carvings, and a staircase of 28 steps lead to main entrance. There are three entrances to the building which has 4 columns. The column-lined inner court is reached by passing through a domed hall. A marble pool in the middle of the open courtyard is surrounded by a number of large and small rooms. The two-story administrative building is adjacent to the museum.

Museum Tel : (+90 312) 311 95 56

Opening hours: 0830-1230 & 1330-1730, closed Mondays

State Museum of Painting and Sculpture

Built in 1927 as the Turk Ocagi by architect Arif Hikmet Koyunoglu from the orders of Ataturk, it has paintings and plastic art of Turkish artists. Temporary exhibits of both foreign and Turkish artists are sponsored.

Museum Tel : (+90 312) 310 20 94

Opening hours: 0900-1200 & 1330-1700, closed Mondays.

Museum of the Republic

Originally planned to house the People’s Republic Party, it was actually the second building for the Turkish National Parliament, as its first was too small to meet the needs of the developing Turkish Republic.

The building’s interior sections are arranged around the three sides of the two-story Parliament Hall, located in the centre of the building. Exhibited here are the Parliament Hall with its original furnishings, the rooms where Ataturk’s principles and reforms were discussed. Photographs and various personal belongings reflect the era of the first three Prime Ministers: Ataturk, Ismet Inonu and Celal Bayar. In the meeting hall, there is a wax re-incarnation of section of the Great Speech delivered by Ataturk, between the 15-20 October 1927.

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 310 71 40.

Opening hours: 09.00-12.00 & 13.30-17.00, closed Mondays.

Museum of the War of Independence (1st Parliament Building)

The building situated in Ulus Square housed the first Turkish National Parliament, from April 23 1920 to October 15 1924. It was later the headquarters of the People’s Republic Party, and then the Law School. In 1952 it was turned over to the Ministry of Education and on April 23 1961 it was opened to the public as the Museum of the Turkish National Parliament.

The building consists of the hall, the corridor, the Chambers of the Ruling Council, the Committee Room, the Break Room, the Administrative Rooms, the Parliamentary Meeting Hall, Office of Parliament Head, the storage for photographs and other items, and the basement which is used as an exhibition hall.

Opening hours: 08.30 – 12.15, & 13.30 – 17.15, closed Mondays

Ataturk’s House (Museum)

The Atatürk Museum In The Atatürk Model Farm

The Railway Museum

Built in 1924, this historic stone-cut building consists of two floors, each 340 square metres. Exhibited here are items demonstrating the technological developments of the state railroad.

Museum Tel : (+90 312) 310 35 00.

Opening hours: 1330-1700, except Sundays and Mondays.

The Ankara Ataturk Cultural Centre & Museum of the Revolution of the Republic

Opening on December 27 1987, the walls of the ground floor are covered with reliefs depicting the War of Independence, the reforms, the Republic of Ataturk, and his ideas concerning art, youth and independence. One by one the different sections of the wall are lit up and the visitor is taken on a tour of the reliefs with a musical accompaniment. These demonstrations have been prepared in Turkish, English, German and French.

In the basement, the War of Independence, reforms and development of Turkey and the relevant institutions that played an important role, are documented through words, pictures and models. There is also a 25-minute multimedia presentation documenting the Turkish journey from Central Asia, to the founding of a republic after the War of Independence, and all of Atatürk’s reforms which followed.

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 342 10 10

Opening hours: 0830-1730, closed Saturdays and Sundays

MTA Natural History Museum

In the museum are examples from the fields of paleontology and geography, including fossils, minerals and rocks. There is also the skeleton of the Maras Elephant, the giant Amonit that lived in the vicinity of Ankara 193 million years ago, and the fossilised footprints of humans who lived in Anatolia 25,000 years ago and were found in Manisa.

Museum Tel : (+90 312) 287 34 30

Opening hours: Weekdays – 0900-1700. Weekends 1000-1500.

METU Museum

The museum, found on the campus of the Middle East Technical University (Orta Dogu Teknik Universitesi), has exhibits featuring the slowly disappearing folk art, and finds from archeological excavations. There are artifacts recovered from the Phrygian tumulus in Besevler belonging to the Chalcolithic, Early Bronze and Phrygian periods.

Museum Tel : (+90 312) 210 1010

Opening hours: 0830-1700, except Saturday and Sunday.

Gordion Museum

The museum was established in 1963 beside the tiny village now known as Yassihoyuk. Today, the Gordion Museum offers a chronological exhibition with characteristic examples from each of the periods represented. There are three displays consisting of artifacts from the Early Bronze age, featuring King Midas and ending with the Phrygian Era. Among the exhibits are clay jars from the Late Iron Age, and cutting tools and instruments used in textile production belonging to the Late Phrygian Era.

In the Panoramic display, located in the new exhibition room, there is a typical structure dating back to the 7th century BC which was found in a strata belonging to the conquest of the city. The last section gives visitors a chance to see seals and coins recovered from Gordion.

The new excavations have been planted with trees that the Phrygians used to make their furniture: cedar, aromatic juniper, Turkish boxwood, yellow pine, walnut and yew. The newly arrived Mosaics and the Celtic Grave is another section. The Gordion Museum consists of the exhibition hall, the new exhibition hall, the Phrygian Mosaics, the Administrative offices, Toilets, Storage, the Laboratory, the Mosaics, the Celtic Grave and the living quarters.

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 638 2188

Opening hours: Summer – 0830-1730 daily. Winter – 0830-1700, except Monday.

Beypazarı Culture and History Museum

Alagoz Military Headquarters Museum

When the Turkish army was retreating to the Sakarya Line during the War of Independence, Commander-in-Chief Mustafa Kemal Ataturk set up his headquarters and directed the war from this farmhouse, decorated in typical Turkish taste.

The building, once used as a military headquarters, was donated by the sons of Mahmut and Serafettin Turkoglu, the sons of Turkoglu Ali, to be used as a museum and built by the National Education Ministry. The building and its garens were restored by the ministry and ceremonially opened to visitors on November 10 1968. Today it is a branch of Anitkabir Museum and some of Ataturk’s garments and weapons are also displayed.

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 641 65 13

Opening days to visit: Everyday except Saturday and Sunday.

State Meteorological Service’s Museum

Used as War Department Staff Headquarters during the War of Independence, this historic building with its modern equipment serves over 1100 stations of varying size. The room in which Ataturk stayed and laid out strategy for the battles of the War of Independence have been turned into a museum called Ataturk’s Room. The stove, table and curtains found in the room are all original. In addition, the Meteorology Museum with its old tools and devices used for predicting weather, is open to visitors.

Opening hours: 0900-1200 & 1400-1700.

Vehbi Koc Museum and the Ankara Research Center (VEKAM)

The house in Kecioren which belonged to Vehbi Koc, was restored and opened in 1994 as the Research Centre. The archives contain a wide selection of books, documents, photographs and films regarding Vehbi Koc and Ankara. It is open to researchers and the public.

Opening hours: 0900-1730, except Tuesdays.

The Toy Museum The Toy Museum is part of the Education Science Faculty of Ankara University Museum.

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 363 33 50

Cankaya Köşk Museum

Museum of the State Cemetery

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 221 0627

Opening hours: Summer – 09.30-17.00. Winter: 0930-1630. Weekends 10.00-17.00, except Mondays and Tuesdays.

Education Museum

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 311 95 56 / 311 30 07

Opening hours: 0830-1230 & 1330-1730, except Mondays

The Museum of Professional Education Faculty of Gazi University

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 212 6 60/45

Opening hours: 0830-1200 & 1300-1730, except Saturdays and Sundays.

Aerospace Museum

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 244 85 50 / 4059 / 4114

Opening hours: 0900-1630, except Mondays and Tuesdays

Mehmet Akif Ersoy House

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 305 21 23

Opening hours: 0830-1200 & 1330-1730, except Saturdays and Sundays

The Museum House of Mehmet Akif Ersoy

Ataturk Residence during the National Struggle

Tel: (+90 312) 309 05 15 / 40 84

Opening hours: 0900-1200 & 1300-1700, except Sundays and Mondays.

Mapping Museum of Ministry of National Defence General Command of Mapping

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 363 70 09 / 2038

100th Year Sports History Museum

Atatürk’s Residence During The War of Independence

The Postal Service Stamp Museum

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 316 62 63

Opening hours: 0830-1230 & 1330-1730, except Saturdays and Sundays.

Museum of T.C. Ziraat Bankası

The National Education Administration’s Museum for the 75th Anniversary of the Turkish Republic.

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 310 37 50 / 4348

Opening hours: 0830-1230 & 1330-1730, except Saturdays and Sundays.

Sefik Bursali Historic House

Museum Tel: (+90 312) 441 2390

Opening hours: 0900-1200 & 1300-1700, except Monday.

Girls Technical Education Institute Museum

The Toy Museum of the Faculty of Educational Sciences (Ankara University)



The capital city of the Phrygian empire, the remains of the renowned city of Gordion are near the Ankara-Eskisehir highway at the confluence of the Sakarya and Porsuk rivers, 21 km northwest of Polatli, and 90 km from Ankara, in the village of Yassihoyuk.

The history of Gordion goes back to 3000 BC (Early Bronze Age). It was an important settlement during the Assyrian and Hittite periods (1950 BC – 1180 BC) and, of course, the Phrygian era (900 BC – 620 BC), during which it was the capital city. It was named after King Gordios, the king who made it the capital. The famous knot made by King Gordios was cut in two by Alexander the Great in 333 BC, when he wintered in Gordion.

The period of Alexander the Great (300 BC -100 BC) began in Gordion with his conquest. Following that, the area came under the control of the Romans (1st century BC to 4th century AD) and then the Selcuks (11th – 13th century AD). All of this occurred in the short space of 4000 years.

Gordion Museum


Ahlatlibel is located 14 km southwest of Ankara on the old Taspinar Village – Gavurkale – Haymana road. This Early Bronze Age site was an important settlement in Anatolia.


The Bitik Tumulus is 42 km northwest of Ankara. The excavations have uncovered, from top to bottom, dwellings belonging to the Classic Age of the 5th century BC and going back to the Late Bronze Age. The Phrygian and Hittite dwellings are less important than the others. The artifacts at Bitik from the Late Bronze Age document the interest in Eastern and Western Anatolia.


Located 5 km north of Ankara on the banks of Cubuk Creek, it was excavated in 1937 by Professor Sevket Aziz Kansu under the auspices of the Turkish History Association. At the lowest level, tools belonging to the Late Stone Age were recovered. The level above that was similar to the culture of the Early Bronze, and that of nearby Ahlatlibel. At the very top level the remains of a large palace belonging to the different periods were unearthed.


60 km southwest of Ankara, this area from the bed of Babayakup Creek, which flows right beside the hill, has been the site of continuous settlement. The hill was given the name Gavurkale (Infidel Castle) because of the broken down walls.

Gavurkale has drawn the attention of many. On the southern exposure of the steep cliffs is a relief of two gods walking, one behind the other, and across from them sits a goddess. There is a wall made of gigantic stone blocks surrounding this rocky outcrop. The stone reliefs here is just one example of these uniquely Hittite monuments found scattered throughout the country.

Researchers have determined that this was an important walled city. At first it was thought to have been a Hittite worship centre, but later it was realised that the Phrygians settled here as well. The site was visited in 1930 by Ataturk himself. In the following years a number of surface investigations were conducted, and in 1998 new excavations were begun at Gavurkale by the Chair of the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations.


Karalar is a village about 60 km northwest of Ankara, and is important because of the fact that it witnessed continuous settlement during the Classic Age. In the region known as Asarkaya, the architectural remains of a Celtic castle. Artifacts belonging to the Hellenistic Age have been found in the tumulus. Ancient coins discovered in the area indicate that there were commercial ties with Egypt and Syria.

The Temple of Augustus

Situated adjacent to the Haci Bayram Mosque in Ulus, the temple was built in the 2nd century BC in honour of the Phrygian Goddess Men. The remains of the temple we see today are those of the temple built in honour of the Roman Emperor Augustus as a sign of fidelity by the King Pylamenes, the son of the Celtic ruler Amintos. During Byzantine times windows and other additions were made and it was turned into a church.

The perimeter is made up on four walls lined with columns, and around it are the column holders: 15 down the length of each side, six along the width, four in front of the temple door and two in the back. The only standing part of the temple is the door with its ornately carved posts. A copy of Emperor Augustus’s last will and testament, the original of which is found in the Temple in Rome, enumerates his accomplishments and is located on the temple wall adjacent to the tomb.

Julian’s Column

This is located beside the pool between the financial directorate and the governor’s building.. It is about 15m high, with a number of rings along its length, and has no inscriptions. It is said to have been set up in honour of Emperor Julian when he passed through Ankara (361-363 AD). It is known locally as the Belkis Minaret.

Roman Baths

Located on Cankiri Street between Ulus Square and Yildirim Bayazit Square, the baths sit on a platform about 2.5m above the street.

The baths date back to Caracalla (212-217 AD). The Cankiri Street entrance to the Caracalla baths leads to a wrestling arena, which was covered with a portico surrounded with columns. On one side of this courtyard are 32 columns with a total of 128 over the whole area. The actual baths are located immediately behind the wrestling arena. Besides the unusually large size of the structure, the baths have a very typical layout consisting of the Apoditerium (dressing area), the Frigidarium (cold-section), the Tepidarium (warm section) and the Caldarium (hot section).

Ankara Roman Theatre

Located between Hisar and Pinar streets, the theare was first discovered in 1982 and a salvage excavation began on March 15 1983 by the Museum Administration. The Museum of Anatolian Civilizations continued the excavations until 1986. What was uncovered was the remains of a typical Roman theatre dating back to the 2nd century AD. In addition to a number of statues and statue pieces, all that remains are the foundations and walls of what was once a vaulted parados building, orchestra, amphitheatre and a stage.


This, the oldest bridge in Ankara, crosses the Ankara Creek in front of Varlik Mahallesi. The Selcuk ruler Alaaddin Keykubat I had it built in 1222 while Kizilbey was governor of Ankara.

Hoyuk (Tumulus)

Located with the boundaries of Turkhoyuk village, it consists mainly of marble columns and gravestones belonging to the Roman and Byzantine eras.

Kul Hoyuk is situated within the city limits of the town of Oyaca. It is reached by turning right about 50 km out on the Ankara-Haymana highway, towards the villages of Boyalik, Culuk, Calis and Durupinar. The tumulus is 1.5 km down this road on the right-hand side.

There are continuing excavations going on in this medium-sized tumulus, under the direction of the Museum of Anatolia Civilizations. The Hittite Cult Centre, 8 km to the west near Gavurkale, indicates that this was probably an important Hittite settlement.

Besides the hidden cistern, built in the traditional style of grand monumental Hittite, there are the remains of huge foundations which can most likely be dated back to the Early Bronze Age and the beginning of the Hittite Empire. In light of the ceramic, bronze and other archeological finds, it is known that the area was inhabited about 5000 years ago.


Karaoglan is 25 km from Ankara along the road to Konya. The different strata in the tumulus have yielded remains from the following cultures: Chalcolithic, Early Bronze, Hittite, Phrygian, Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine. This is one of the most important Hittite and Phrygian sites in the Ankara Golbasi region.

Bestepeler Tumulus was the first to be excavated, in 1926 by Makridi. In 1945, during construction in the area, it became necessary to remove several of the tumuluses. Two of them were investigated and a number of clay jars and other tools belonging to the Phrygians were recovered. Experts concluded that these were contemporaries of the Phrygian graves at Gordion. It was at this time that they realised that the Phrygians placed their dead in graves dug on level ground, and then built a structure over the site with logs. The whole thing was then covered with dirt from the surrounding area to make a small hill. The dead were always buried with a number of gifts.

Yumurtatepe (Demetevler) Tumulus is on the left hand side of the road at the Ciftlik – Demetevler intersection. It was excavated by the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations during the 1986 and 1987 excavation seasons, which identified the tumulus as belonging to the Early Bronze Age. It is a single structure, and a number of earthenware vessels were recovered.


Ankara Castle

The castle, which has guarded the city for centuries, is now a symbol of Ankara and its history is as old as the city itself. Although it is not exactly known when the castle was built, it is commonly believed to have been built by the Romans, then repaired and expanded by the Selcuks. It towers 110 meters above Bentdere Creek (Hatip Creek) which runs along its base.

There are two parts, an inner and an outer castle, with over 20 towers. The outer castle encloses the old city of Ankara within its heart-shaped walls. The four-level inner castle is made partly of Ankara stone and partly of stones gathered from other structures. The two large gates of the inner castle are called the Outer Gate and the Castle Gate. The towers within the castle vary between 14-16 metres in height. Today within the castle walls there are a number of Ottoman-style houses dating as far back as the 17th century.

Kalecik Castle

Kalecik Castle is 78 km from Ankara on the road to Cankiri, and is a strong landmark from the modern town as it was founded on a cone-shaped hill. It is connected to the mountains in the southwest by a ridge and sits high above the plain formed by the Kizilirmak (Red River).


Some of the city’s most important mosques are: Agac Ayak, Ahi Elvan, Ahi Yakup, Aslanhane (Ahi Serafettin), Cenab-i Ahmet Pasa, Alaaddin, Cicekcioglu, Direkli, Eskicioglu, Hacettepe, Haci Arap, Haci Bayram, Ibadullah, Karacabey, Kocatepe, Kursunlu, Tabakhane, Tacettin and Zincirli.

Hacı Bayram Mosque

Hacı Bayram-ı Veli

Hacı Bayram-ı Veli, whose real name was Numan-bin Koyunluca Ahmet was born in the Solfasol village of Ankara in 1352 (753 H.)

He is the founder of the Bayrami sect, a sufi poet and composer of hymns. Upon competing his education in Ankara and Bursa, he started to teach at the theological school called Karamedrese in Ankara, which was built by a philantrophic lady called Meklike Hatun.

Hacı Bayram Mosque

It is located in the Ulus section of Ankara next to the Augustus temple.

Originally built in 831 H (1427/28), the mosque as it stands today shows the characteristics of late 17th century and 18th century mosques.

It has a lengthwise rectangular plan and the sections at north and west are later additions.

At the south east wall of the mausoleum, there is a two – gallery minaret with a square plan, stone base and brick body.

There is an inscription of Word of the God (Kelime-i Tevhid) in large Arabic calligraphy (sülüs) on the protrouting southern wall of the late-comer’s section.

Single interior space is covered with a wooden ceiling. The hexagonal large rosette in the center of the ceiling is framed with six rows of flowered borders. The same rosette in smaller scale can be seen on the central rectangular panel of the ceiling of the annexed section west to the women’s section. The edges of the ceiling of the inner space of the mosque are decorated with flower patterned cornices. The same type of cornices are also used in the women’s section.

The lower windows of the mosque are rectangular and have iron grids. On the exterior they are bordered with niches with pointed arches. Upper windows are pointed arched, have plaster gratings and stained glass and bordered with chiselled plant motives.

On the interior, Kütahya tiles are placed up to the top of the windows. After the tiles, transition to plain wall is made with a border of chiselled palmette.

The plaster Mihrab is built with a moulding technique and is in the form of stalacti niched. Pieces from Koran are inscribed in five rows on the pediment of the Mihrab

The Word of God can be seen on Mihrab borders as decoration. Colored Mimbar is made with false “kündekari” technique and displays a fine workmanship.

The painted engravings on wood are made by the engraver Nakkaş Mustafa. Two inscriptions on kıble side indicate that the mosque was restored in 1714 by one of the grandsons of Hacı Bayram-ı Veli, Mehmet Baba.

Hacı Bayram Mausoleum

The mausoleum which is dated as 1429, is next to thee mihrab wall of the mosque.

It is a structure with a square plan, octagonal drum and a leaded dome covers it. The front façade is marble. Portal is particularly defined on the façade. It has a slided arch decorated with black and white marbles in a rectangular frame and on the inside there is an entrance door arch decorated with interlocking colored stones in a zig zag pattern. The wooden exterior and interior entrance doors are at Ankara Ethnography Museum. The window to the left of the portal is bordered with a multi colored friese and has iron grills. This is one of the best examples of 15 th century mausaleums of Ankara

There is another mausoleum in the garden of the mosque which has octagonal plan and a dome. This work which is known as Osman Fazıl Pasha Mausoleum belongs to the 18th century.

Ankara Augustus Temple

It was built by the Roman Emperor Augustus, probably in the years 25 – 20 B.C at the location which was the Kyble and Men sacred location. The marble temple which is 36 x 54,82 stands on a multi- step podium

The temple is significant for its Latin and greek inscriptions which depict the doings of Augustus. Augustus Tampe has survived until our times in considerably good shape


Ahi Serafettin, Azimi (Ismail Pasazade Haci Esad), Cenab-i Ahmet Pasa, Hacibayram Veli, Ismail Fazil Pasa, Karacabey, Karyagdi, Kesikbas, and Yoruk Dede (Dogan Bey).

Catholic Churches

St. Paul’s Church

118 Ataturk Bulvari No, Kavaklidere (In the grounds of the Italian Embassy)

Tel: (+90 312) 426 65 18

St. Theresa Church

Isiklar Caddesi, 15 Kardesler Sokak, Ulus

Tel: (+90 312) 311 01 18

Mother Mary Church

Birlik Mah. 3, Cad. No. 35 Oyak, Cankaya (Beside the Vatican Embassy)

Tel: (+90 312) 495 35 23

Service times: Sunday: 09.45 (English) 11.00 (French)

Anglican Church

St. Nicholas Church Sehit Ersan Cad. 46, Cankaya (Inside the Embassy of Great Britain) Tel: (+90 312) 468 62 30 / 32 85

Service times: Sunday 10.00 (English)


Sakalar Mah. Birlik Sok. 8, Samanpazari

Tel: (+90 312) 311 62 00


Cengel Inn

It is located below the castle, on Sefa Street in Atpazari Square. From the inscriptions found there, it is concluded that it was built in 1522.

Kursunlu Inn

On the road leading to Ankara Castle, it was built by Fatih’s vizier, Mahmut Pasa, in 1421. It is a typical example of Ottoman Inn built in a city.

Mahmut Pasa Bazaar

Built by Vizier Mahmut Pasa between 1421 and 1459, it is adjacent to Kursunlu Inn and on the road to the castle. The building is a perfect square, with an east-west orientation. It consists of two parts: the bazaar storage area with 10 domes, and the shops which face outwards. The domed part of the building is now the exhibition hall of the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations.

Sulu Inn

Sulu Inn, also known as Hasan Pasa Inn, is located in the Haci Dogan neighbourhood between Tekneciler Street and Sulu Inn Street. It is claimed that Sulu Inn was built in 1685 by Seyhulislam Cevvar Zade Mehmet Emin Bey and then donated to the Zincirli Mosque. However, to contradict that, the records indicate that it was donated to the mosque in 1141 by Abdulkerimzade Mehmet Emin Bey.

Zagfiran (Safran) Inn

Located in Atpazari, Zagfiran Inn was built in 1512 by Haci Ibrahim Bin Haci Mehmet, a resident of Kayseri who settled in Ankara. Since the organisation was charted in 1512, it is presumed that it was built around this time. Half the Inn is private, half of it is devoted to praying for the soul of the builder, and taking care of the fountain at the entrance to the Lutfi Inn. There is a small mosque inside.


Memorials Mimar Sinan Memorial

This memorial is a marble statue of the greatest Turkish architect, Mimar Sinan (1409-1588), wearing clothes original to his own style of dress, and located in front of the Language, History and Geography Faculty. Made by scultor Huseyin Anka, it was commissioned by the Real Estate Loan Bank in 1956.

Guvenlik Memorial

In Guven Park, in the city centre of Kizilay, it was made in 1935 out of local stone. Because it was presented as a gift to the Turkish national police, it is known as the Security Memorial.

Mithat Pasa Memorial

In 1966, the Turkish Republic Agricultural Bank commissioned Professor Huseyin Anka of the Fine Arts Academy in Istanbul to make this sculpture. It is located beside the General Headquarters of the bank in Ulus.

Ulus Republic Memorial

This was erected in 1927 in honour of the heroes of the Turkish War of Independence, and lies in Ulus Square.

Triumph Memorial

On Ataturk Boulevard in Yenisehir in front of Ordu Evi, the Triumph Memorial is a bronze statue of a uniformed Ataturk, standing on his feet and leaning on his sword.

The Bust of Lady Zubeyde

In front of the Ismet Pasa Girls Institute, the bust of Ataturk’s mother Zubeyde was erected March 31 1964 by the United Turkish Women’s Centre, in honour of the greatest of all Turkish mothers.


The Old Baths

The Old (Eski) Baths are right across from the Gazi High School. Although the dressing rooms of the baths are in ruins, the sauna and cold rooms including the boiler room are still intact. From the architecture and building techniques used, the structure can be dated back to the 15th century.

Karacabey Baths

Built in 1444, the Karacabey Baths are on the Talat Pasa Boulevard. Originally designed as a double bath, the west wing consists of adjacent dressing rooms and the east wing, built in a style distinctively different from the west wing, houses the saunas. The whole structure forms an almost perfect square.

Sengul Baths

Located on Istiklal Mahallesi on Aci Cesme Street, the Sengul Baths were designed as a double bath for women and men. Sengul Baths on Istiklal Street used to belong to women, and now belongs to the men. From the construction technique and building materials used in the dressing rooms, which are found side by side, it is obvious that the building was built in the 19th century.



The 640,000 square metre park is on Irfan Bastug Street in Aydinlikevler, and consists of a wide range of facilities which are all open to the public, including sports centres, cultural centres, restaurants, as well as gardens and lakes.

Tel: (+90 312) 317 96 70 / 317 96 96

Fax: (+90 312) 317 6852


Atakule has a great influence in Ankara’s modern appearance. The 125-metre tower stands 118.2 metres above the ground, and the 600 sq. metre multi-purpose cocktail bar at the top of the tower is used for weddings, seminars and conferences. The revolving restaurant (111.8m) makes one full revolution every hour. The lookout terrace at 104m is open everyday from 09.30 to 23:00, and there is a café/bar at 100m.

Tel: (+90 312) 440 77 01

Fax: (+90 312) 440 77 02

Ataturk Forest Park

Established by Ataturk, the park is one of the most important recreational areas in Ankara and contains teahouses, picnic areas, a zoo and produces a number of products. City buses, minibuses and community trains provide transportation.

Gençlik Parkı

Between the Train Station and Opera buildings, this is a popular entertainment centre in the summer, with an amusement park, tea-gardens, food shops, summer theatrical productions, a large pond with paddle boats and canoes, restaurants and a variety of amusements. All the facilities in the park are open between May and October.

Bayindir Dam

The Dam is on the Samsun Highway, 12 km from Ankara. With its natural beauty, teahouse, camping area and swimming pool, it is a recreational area popular with foreigners and locals alike. There are buses and minibuses that provide transportation.

The Cankaya Ridge

Located near the Presidential Mansion and the Ataturk Museum, the Ridge offers a picturesque view of the whole city. Even on summer days, park is relatively cool, with sweet shops and teahouses.

Cubuk Dam

The forested area around Cubuk Dam, 12km from Ankara, has picnic areas, small restaurants, teahouses and wonderful hiking trails. It is an excellent place to tour by car, and there are also city bus routes to the area as well.


Located 25 km southwest of Ankara on the Konya Highway, on the shores of Lake Mogan, it has restaurants and coffeehouses as well as a beach and teahouses. This recreational area makes the summer heat more tolerable, especially the swimming pool beside the lake, which is also an excellent place for canoeing. There is a good range of transport provided by city buses.

Other Recreational Areas Include:

MTA Rose Garden, Kurtbogazi Dam, Sariyar Dam, Beynam Recreational Forest, Camkoru Recreational Forest, Guven – Karagol Recreational Forest, Hosebe Recreational Forest, Karagol Recreational Forest , Sorgun Recreational Forest, Sogutozu Recreational Forest, Tekkedagi Recreational Forest and Uluhan Recreational Forest.


Closest to the city is Soguksu National Park is in Kizilcahamam, 78km from Ankara, with many species of trees. The wildlife inhabiting the park includes wild boars, bears, wolves, foxes, deer, martins and vultures. Outside the park are partridge and pheasant production farms which are managed by the park directorate. It is a good location for nature walks, trekking and mountaineering, and the park has accommodation and restaurants.

Soğuksu National Park


The most important thermal springs in the province are: Kizilcahamam-Sey, Ayas, Ayas Karakaya, Beypazari-Dutlu-Tahtali, Kapullu, Cubuk Meliksah, and Haymana.

Ankara Thermal Springs

Kızılcahamam Tourist Thermal Spring

Location: Kizilcahamam, 80km north of Ankara.

Water temperature: Buyuk Thermal Spring – 47°C; Kucuk Thermal Spring – 44°C; Kizilcahamam – 19.5°C; Acisu – 34°C; Sey Hamami – 43°C; Acisu Spring – 37°C.

pH value: Buyuk Thermal Spring – 7.06; Kucuk Thermal Spring – 7.45; Kizilcahamam – 6.62; Acisu Thermal Spring – 6.20; Sey Hamami and Acisu Spring – 6.52.

Physical and chemical properties: The various springs contain some or all of the following: hyperthermal, hypertonic, isothermal, bicarbonate, sodium, chlorine, arsenic, carbon dioxide, calcium, carbon dioxide.

Recommended applications: Drinking and bathing

Helps to heal: Drinking – liver, gall bladder, stomach and intestines, internal and external secretions, and poor metabolism. Bathing – heart, vascular system and rheumatism.

Accommodation: Belediye Thermal Hotel – 130 beds. Cam Hotel 81 Beds.

Sey Hamamı Tourist Thermal Resort

Location: 2km from Guvem, which is 15km north of Kizilcahamam and around 80km north of Ankara.

Transport: Guvem is on the highway between Ankara and Cerkes.

Water temperature: 43°C

pH value: 6.5

Physical and chemical properties: Bicarbonate, sodium, calcium, carbon dioxide and fluoride.

Recommended applications: Drinking and bathing

Helps to heal: Rheumatism, joint pain and calcium build-up, stomach and intestinal conditions, poor circulation, nervous disorders, liver and gall bladder conditions and eating disorders.

Accommodation: 14 rooms and 28 beds in the facility.


Bird Watching

Good places in the area for birdwatching are: Col Golu, Mogan Golu, Kizilcahamam Ormanlari, Kavakli Dagi, Inozu Vadisi and Sariyar Baraji, Beynam Ormani and Tuz Golu.

Sakarya Basin

Çöl Lake

City: Ankara

Provinces: Bala, Haymana

Surface Area : 4700

Altitude : 1045 m

Protection: N/A

Bird Species: Büyük cılıbıt is reproducing within the region. Huge numbers of water birds (max. 76.154), including sakarca (max. 14.000), angıt (max. 6847) and çamurcun (max. 10.486) winters in the lake (data before 1989.) Flamingo (max. 5500), dikkuyruk (max.27) and uzunbacak (max. 1000) can generally seen in the lake during the period after reproduction. There are yeşilbaş, uzunbacak, kılıçgaga, akça cılıbıt and kız kuşu among the other birds reproducing within the region.

Main Characteristics: salty lake, swamp

Mogan Lake

City: Ankara

Provinces: Gölbaşı

Surface Area : 1500

Altitude: 973 m

Protection: Yes

Bird Species: It gains important bird areas status with reproducing populations of alaca balıkçıl (30 pairs), Macar Ördeği (50 pairs), pasbaş patka (10 pairs) and dikkuyruk (2 pairs). At the end of autumn and before spring, huge numbers of water birds (max. 78.590), including Macar ördeği (max. 673), pasbaş patka (max.200) and sakarmeke (max. 70.100) can be observed.

Main Characteristics: sweet water lake, swamp

Kızılcahamam Forests

City: Ankara

Provinces: Çamlıdere, Kızılcahamam

Surface Area : 9500

Altitude : 900 – 1849 m

Protection: partially

Bird Species: It gains important bird areas status with reproducing populations of kara leylek (5 pairs), sakallı akbaba (2 pairs), küçük akbaba (15 pairs), kızıl akbaba (2 pairs), kara akbaba (most of them are areproducing within National Park, 6 pairs) and küçük kartalın (3 pairs). At the south of Kızılcahamam, huge numbers of vultures and storks can be seen around a slaughterhouse at the coast of Kırmır Stream.

Main Characteristics: forest, mountain

Kavaklı Mountain

City: Ankara, Bolu

Provinces: Güdül, Dörtdivan

Surface Area : 8100

Altitude : 1000 -1983 m

Protection: Yes

Bird Species: It gains important bird areas status with kara akbaba (5 pairs) population.

Main Characteristics: mountain, forest

İnözü Valley

City: Ankara

Provinces: Beypazarı

Surface Area: 50

Altitude : 675 – 750 m

Protection: N/A

Bird Species: It gains important bird areas status due to kara leylek (5 pairs) and bıyıklı doğan (1 pair) populations.

Main Characteristics: rocky mountains, valley

Sarıyar Dam

City: Ankara, Eskişehir

Provinces: Beypazarı, Nallıhan, Mihalıççık

Surface Area : 8400

Altitude: 475 m

Protection: partially

Bird Species: Among the important species, breeding within the region, gece balıkçılı (120 pairs), which nests on the rocky mountains at south coast as well as kara leylek (20 pairs), which nest at rocky mountains, küçük akbaba (10 pairs) and bıyıklı doğan (1 pairs) can be mentioned. “Nallıhan Kuşcenneti” is an important shelter point during immigration for numerous leylek (max. 11.300) and angıt (max. 2400).

Main Characteristics: dam lake, rocky mountains

Kızılırmak Basin

Beynam Forest

City: Ankara

Provinces: Gölbaşı

Surface Area : 2100

Altitude : 1200 – 1521 m

Protection: Yes

Bird Species: It gains important bird areas status with breeding two pairs of şah kartal.

Main Characteristics: forest

Winter Sports

Located 20km from Ankara, with an altitude between 1500 and 1850m, the Elmadag Ski Centre is ski centre has a 10-room hotel, chalets, a ski lift, restaurant and bar. The ski seasons runs from January to March. Ankara also has two ice-skating rinks; at Bahcelievler in Sondurak, and in Kurtulus Park.


The Elmadag Ski Resort, which is on the northern slopes of Elmadag mountain range, is a few kilometres south-east of the centre of Ankara, which has made it more popular.

Arrival: At just 18km from the city, and close to the airport, there are many private vehicles going to the resort.

Geography: The resort is on the northern slopes of Elmadag between the altitudes of 1500-1850m. The area is treeless and covered with alpine meadows. The season runs between January and March, with a terrestrial climate, and snow thickness between 30-60cm.

Facilities: There are government-owned ski lodges, plus two restaurants, an indoor swimming pool, sauna, disco and restaurants. The T-bar has a 548m route, and the ski run is at an easy/medium level.


Foreigners can only hunt in parties organised by Turkish travel agencies which have been authorised by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs. These agencies provide all information concerning seasons, authorised zones, permits, weapons and ammunition. A list of agencies can be obtained from the Union of Travel Agencies (TURSAB).

For more information, contact: – Forest Ministry, National Parks and Wildlife General Directorate, Gazi Tesisleri No 11, Gazi, Ankara.

Tel: (312) 221 1769/212 6300. Fax: 222 5140.

– Youth and Sport General Directorate, Hunting and Marksman Federation

Ulus Ishani A Blok 4 Kat No 404, Ulus, Ankara.

Tel: (312) 310 6160/310 3960. Fax: 310 6160.

The province of Ankara has a wide variety of wild game, the most important of which are partridge, hazel grouse, rabbit, ducks and geese. In the forests of Nallihan, Beypazari, Kizilcahamam, Camlidere, Cubuk and Gudul, there are bears, lynx, wild hogs and deer.


Fishing in the Ankara province can be divided into four different categories: rivers, dams, lakes and ponds. For river fishing there are the Kizilirmak, Sakarya and Kimir rivers and their tributaries. Lake fishing is done at Lake Mogan, Lake Eymir and Lake Karagol. There are also a number of dams in the province for excellent fishing.

Youth Tourism

Having the great majority of her population being composed of young people,Turkey embodies camp centers and facilities enabling the young people living in abroad and in country the opportunity to enjoy an easily acquired holiday.

– TUREM – The Tourism Training Centers of The Ministry of Culture and Tourism

– Forest Camps of The Forest Ministry

– Youth Camps Sponsored By The Youth and Sports Administration

– The Higher Education Housing and Loan Association

– Hostels

– Transportation Services For Students

– International Cards and Agencies Which Provide Them

– Institutions Which Sponsor Youth Activities



Ankara is surrounded by the provinces of Kirsehir and Kirikkale on the east, Eskisehir to the west, Cankiri to the north, Bolu to the northwest and Konya and Aksaray to the south. The province of Ankara is an area covered with the plains that have been formed by the Kizilirmak and Sakarya rivers located in the northwestern part of Central Anatolia. This area is made up of both forests and arid plains.

Vegetation is limited to that normally found in the steppes, and trees are practically non-existent. Thorny plants are the most commonly seen but there are Russian olives, willows and poplar trees growing wherever there is water, and these trees are an important part of steppe vegetation. The plateau surrounding Ankara is characterized by isolated mountains and as one moves north, with the increase in annual rainfall, the barrenness of the steppe starts to give way to more lush vegetation.

The climate varies within this larger province. While the southern part of the province has a climate characteristic of the steppe, in the north the temperate and rainy conditions of the Black Sea make themselves felt. In this area where the hot summers and cold winters characteristic of a continental climate prevail, the hottest months are July-August and the coldest month is January.


The capital of the Turkish Republic, Ankara, was founded almost in the middle of Central Anatolia. Due to its central location, the export of cloth made from the hair of the famous Angora goats turned Ankara into a major stop on the caravan route, and an important business centre especially during the Selcuk and Ottoman eras, in the city once named Angyra. The Galatians were the first used it as a capital city. Although it is known to have been a small settlement during the Hittite period, no artifacts belonging to this period have been found. Excavations conducted in many of the local burial mounds have turned up Phrygian artifacts. After the Phyrgians, the city was occupied respectively by the Persians, Alexander the Great, and the Galatians. In 25 BC, the Emperor Augustus annexed the city and its Galatians kingdom. In the 4th century AD, there was a surge in Christianity in this region, where Saint Paul is said to have started the church. The 7th and 8th centuries saw the rise of Islam, and the city suffered many raids by the Persians and Arabs. The outer walls of the castle were built during this time. Between 871-893, Turks and Crusaders took turns occupying the city but in 1127 AD the city was brought under the domination of the Turks and given the name Enguriye. In 1402 as a result of the battle between Yildirim Beyazit and Tamerlane, the city was briefly in the hands of the Mongols. In 1414, however, it came under the rule of the Ottomans. During the war of independence in 1920, Ankara was chosen as a military base and in 1923 was declared the capital by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, due to geographic, strategic and political considerations as well its role in the War of Independence. The foundations of the modern city were then laid, by bringing in city planners from Europe.

What to Eat

The cuisine of Old Ankara displays much of the home-cooked food of the Turks, with the oven and tandoor, and cellars for winter supplies. There is a wide variety of dishes in Ankara: Soups such as as dutmac, keskek, miyane, sutlu, tarhana and toyga. Meat dishes include Ankara tavasi, alabortme, calla, coban kavurmasi, iliskik, kapama, orman kebabi, patlicanli et, sizgic, siyel and siper. To accompany, there is a wide variety of pilaf (rice dishes) such as bici, wheat pilaf, ogmac asi and pit pit pilaf. There are also stuffed dishes like efelek dolmasi, manti, sirden dolmasi (humbar) and yalanci dolma. The pastries of Turkey are delicious, and include alt-ust boregi, ay boregi, bohca, entekke boregi, hamman, kaha, kol boregi, papac, Pazar boregi, tandir boregi.

What to Buy

Ankara’s shopping centres are clustered around Ulus, Kizilay and Kavaklidere. One popular place for visitors is the Cikrikcilar Yokusu and its shops, near Ulus. Around the castle in Ulus, in the area of Cikrikcilar Yokusu and Samanpazari, there are shops which sell traditional handicrafts such as textiles, copper, ceramics, wickerwork and leather, as well as a variety of jewellery, decorations, gift items and all types of antiques.

In the Bakircilar Market, there is a wide selection of goods on offer like souvenirs, antiques and clothes as well as copperware and jewellery. At the end of the ascent to the castle is a small bazaar with stands selling spices, dried fruit and nuts and other products.

Most of the modern shopping centres are in Kizilay, Tunali Hilmi Street and at Atakule in Cankaya. The 125m Atakule dominates the city landscape and from the revolving restaurant there is a breathtaking view of Ankara. The most elite department stores in Turkey are in the Karum Mall in Kavaklidere, as well as top restaurants.


Registered Immobile Cultural and Natural Heritages in Ankara


Archeological Sites: 395

Urban Sites: 6

Natural Sites: 19

Historical Sites: 3

Other Sites

Archeological and Natural Sites: 4

Historical and Urban Sites: 1

Administrative Sites: 1

Historical and Natural Sites: 1

Total: 430

Cultural (at Single Construction Scale) and Natural Heritages: 1205

TOTAL: 1635

Contact Information



Tel: (+90 312) 446 11 80

Fax: (+90 312) 446 11 88


Tel: (+90 312) 419 04 31


Tel: (+90 312) 467 20 71. Fax: (+90 312) 468 69 56


Tel: (+90 312) 436 12 75


Tel: (+90 312) 468 77 60

Fax: (+90 312) 468 45 59


Tel: (+90 312) 468 1154

Fax: (+90 312) 467 94 34


Tel: (+90 312) 426 54 65

Fax: (+90 312) 426 69 59

Great Britain

Tel:(+90 312) 468 6230

Fax: (+90 312) 468 32 14


Tel: (+90 312) 468 28 20.


Tel: (+90 312) 426 54 60

Fax: (+90 312) 426 58 00


Tel: (+90 312) 446 05 00

Fax: (+90 312) 437 25 04


Tel: (+90 312) 446 0470

Fax: (+90 312) 446 33 58

Russian Federation

Tel: (+90 312) 439 21 22

Fax: (+90 312) 438 39 52


Tel: (+90 312) 440 2169

Fax: (+90 312) 439 51 70


Tel: (+90 312) 468 02 54

Fax: (+90 312) 466 45 58


Tel: (+90 312) 467 55 55

Fax: (+90 312) 467 11 99


Tel: (+90 312) 441 7122

Fax: (+90 312) 441 71 25


Tel: (+90 312) 455 5555


Tel: (+90 312) 441 38 71

Fax: (+90 312) 441 96 15.

Tourist Offices

Provincial Directorate

Address: Gazi Mustafa Kemal Bulvari, 121 Tandogan

Tel: (+90 312) 231 55 72

Fax: (+90 312) 231 55 72

Esenboga Airport

Tel: (+90 312) 398 03 48 / 398 00 00.

Provincial Directorate of Culture and Tourism

Tel: (+90 312) 310 68 18

Fax: (+90 312) 310 03 42


Presidential Symphony Orchestra

Address: Talat Pasha Bulvarı No:38 Ankara

Tel: (+90 312) 309 13 43 (4 lines)

Fax: (+90 312) 311 75 48

Ankara State Turkish Folk Music Choir Directorate

Address: Atatürk Cultural Center Hipodrom – Ankara

Tel: (+90 312) 342 47 90 – 91

Ankara State Polyphonic Music Choir Directorate

Address: Atatürk Cultural Center Hipodrom – Ankara

Tel: (+90 312) 341 27 45 – 46

Ankara State Classical Turkish Music Choir Directorate

Address: Atatürk Cultural Center Hipodrom – Ankara

Tel: (+90 312) 342 37 98

State Folk Dance Ensemble Directorate

Address: Atatürk Cultural Center Hipodrom – Ankara

Tel: (+90 312) 341 19 26 – 341 07 75

State Fine Arts Gallery Directorate

Necatibey Cad. No:55 – ANKARA

Tel: (+90 312) 232 19 45

State Art and Sculpture Museum Directorate

Opera / Ankara

Tel: (+90 312) 311 82 64

Fax: (+90 312) 311 82 64


Museum of Anatolian Civilizations

Address: Hisar Cad. Ulus – Ankara

Tel: (+90 312) 324 31 60

Fax: (+90 312) 311 28 39

Ethnography Museum

Address: TalatPasha Bulvarı Opera – Ankara

Tel: (+90 312) 311 95 56

War of Independence and Republic Museum

Address: Cumhuriyet Cad. Ulus – Ankara

Tel: (+90 312) 311 04 73


Metropolitan Municipality

Ankara University

Başkent University

Bilkent University

Hacettepe University

Çankaya University

ODTÜ University

Altındağ Municipality

Çankaya Municipality

Çubuk Head Official’s Office

Çubuk Municipality

Gölbaşı Municipality

Nallıhan Municipality

Keçiören Municipality

Yenimahalle Municipality

Beypazarı Municipality

    Yorum yapabilmek için giriş yapmalısınız.


    Veri politikasındaki amaçlarla sınırlı ve mevzuata uygun şekilde çerez konumlandırmaktayız. Detaylar için veri politikamızı inceleyebilirsiniz.